Roman Catholic Bishops of England & Wales
Our bodies are not our own
- Message from the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, for World Communications Day , May 23, 2004. For a copy of the Pope's message - See Appendix.
- IPPF Vision 2000 - Strategic Plan, page 3.
|In 1992 IPPF published its booklet entitled: Vision 2000 in which it states,'This strategic thinking, planning and management process must ensure that IPPF and all its FPA members can be held accountable, individually and collectively for being THE conscience and THE leader of the family planning movement in the NGO sector.'(Their emphasis)|
- IPPF and the law - see SPUC's Charity Bulletin listing for IPPF www.spuc.org.uk
- Choices in Childbearing by Robert Whelan, published by The Committee on Population and The Economy.
- PRI - Population Research Institute - works to expose UNFPA, IPPF, WHO and other population control organisations. www.pop.org
- C-FAM - Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute - works to expose UNFPA ,IPPF, WHO, and other population control organisations. www.c-fam.org Also - see reference 7 below.
- WHO - World Health Organisation.
|According to C-FAM's news briefing for May 20, 2004, Dr Gunta Lazdane, European Regional Advisor to WHO on Reproductive Health and Research, said that, "up to 20% of maternal deaths are due to abortion, even in those situations were abortion is legal ...there is a question whether 'safe' abortion is safe." For a copy of the full report - See Appendix.|
- The Bible and Birth Control , by Charles D. Provan, 1989, Zimmer Printing, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Abstinence Clearinghouse - Promotes abstinence (purity) until marriage www.abstinence.net and www.abstinenceAFRICA.com For a copy of their February 19, 2004 press realise - See Appendix.
- United for Life leaflet entitled: Could condoms leak HIV? - see 'Fact 4' and Reference 12 & 13 of the leaflet. Copy included in Appendix. nbsp;Also available as a PDF leaflet from www.unitedforlife.com Condoms page.
- Lessons in Depravity , page 320, by Dr ES Williams, Belmont House Publishing. www.belmonthouse.co.uk (Info on Lessons in Depravity included in Appendix).
|'Our mission is to promote biblical morality through the written word.' - Belmont House Mission Statement|
- Lessons in Depravity, ibid, page 307.
- AIDS needs a 'rethink', The Universe, April 16, 2000. A copy of this article is included in the Appendix of this publication.
- CAFOD, HIV Prevention, Condoms and Catholic Ethics' web page. www.cafod.org.uk
- United for Life leaflet entitled: Could condoms leak HIV? - see 'Education for abstinence' and Reference 47 of the leaflet about Uganda. Copy of leaflet included in Appendix.
- According to Fr Anthony Zimmerman, 'All contraception is intrinsically evil.' 'Intrinsically evil means unchangeably and forever evil, no matter what excuses might be attempted'. This means that condoms cannot be used under any circumstance. Condoms, even when used to prevent HIV, will also have a contraceptive effect. See - Fr Anthony Zimmerman, missionary in Japan, professor of moral theology, Nazan University, Nagoya. More articles can be found on www.catholicmind.com
The Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1756, states, 'It is therefore an error to judge the morality of human acts by considering only the intention that inspires them or their circumstances (environment, social pressures, duress or emergency, etc) which supply their context. There are acts which, in and of themselves, independent of circumstances and intentions, are always gravely illicit by reason of their object; such as blasphemy and perjury, murder and adultery. One may not do evil so that good may result from it.' Also see - Romans 3.8.
Humanae Vitae continues - 'it is never lawful, even for the gravest reasons, to do evil that good may come of it - in other words, to intend positively something which intrinsically contradicts the moral order, even though the intention is to protect or promote the welfare of an individual, of a family or of a society in general.'
- Richens, et al, 'Condoms and seat belts: the Parallel and the Lessons' Lancet, 2000; 355: 400-403. Also see - Could condoms leak HIV? leaflet in the Appendix of this publication.
- CIIR booklet 'Comment: HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa - The threat to development' page 20. www.ciir.org - (now called: Progressio)
- The Medical Institute - provides easy to access easy to read medical information of sexual health issues. www.medicalinstitute.org
- J Thomas Fitch M.D., 'How Effective Are Condoms in Preventing Pregnancy and STDs in Adolescents?' Medical Institute for Sexual Health, July 1997, pp.4-11.
Also read about 'Cumulative Risk' - Fitch et al., Factors That Influence Risk Reduction, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, December 2002.
- Marriage Care nbsp;www.marriagecare.org.uk
- Lessons in Depravity, ibid, page 224.
- The Christian Institute. Counterfit Marriage www.christian.org.uk
- National Secular Society www.secularism.org.uk
- SPUC www.spuc.org.uk - see their electronic Charities Bulletin
- Dr ES Williams booklet 'A critique of the Christian Aid report - Dying to learn: Young people, HIV and the churches.' Contact: Belmont House Publishing, 36, The Crescent, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 6BJ.